11.12.2013

{Master Bedroom}

I'm in a season where I've got more ideas running around in my head, than I have time or resources to fill.  Sometimes I feel a bit like a crazyac trying to contain all my thoughts in my head until I can bring them to pass or at least be at peace with it just being a creative thought and not actually something that HAS to be done.  I may drive my husband loopy, or I may just keep his life exciting...I don't know.  I do know that he has voiced numerous times about his fear of walking in the door and something else has changed...again.  Poor man.

We did some painting in the master bedroom about 2 years ago.  About the same time we were doing the whole kitchen project.  {See, I told you I've got seasons}  The floor in the master had mold under it, and I was in denial that anything needed to be done until it was just too obvious it was spreading.  The former owners had allowed the window unit AC to drip inside the window and the water had gone under the floor boards and started a process of mold and rot. Because I firmly believe in this We tore into this project and painted the room black at the same time since it used to be just so green (scroll down).  We added a white "upside down chair rail" to the top of the wall and we're working on finishing the trim yet.  Good grief it takes us long to get things done.
 (See where we need trim above the windows and under the "chair rail"? Or the light chord that's tacked up to our bed post?  I'm also in a bit of a funk over curtains and/or shades.  Any suggestions?)

 A couple weeks ago I had an itch to make a change to the wall behind our headboard.  It had been a black wall, but I wanted a little more light in the room, so I painted it the same color as the trim and added some handwriting.

Super fun project, and Myron loved it, so a homerun.  He likes to say it often now, with some dry humor, "you know, I will always love you".
I measured off every 4" for a penciled line to write on, and then freehanded it with a permanent marker.  Paint and a fine tip paint brush were my first choice, but the marker was so much easier to handle and I rather adore how it isn't in your face but just a subtle accent.  And freehand writing makes it so personal.  I'm sure you could make it pop a bit more and it would be fabulous in its own way.

*I feel like I should add this disclaimer:  I started this blog to post pictures of our house project.  Gotta be honest, the pictures and process haven't been recorded as well as I had originally thought.  I think I get too stuck in my own head.  I absolutely adore perusing blogs, websites, what have you to stir my creative juices, but I also know the limits of time, resources, etc that so many of us run into.  There's always the competitive or inferior feeling that jumps up in even the best of us and I've hesitated to blog about house things, knowing that some just don't have that "knack" or the budget for it.  I feel super blessed to live in such an amazing old house and I do want to share it with you.  Just know, that my best project are almost always the ones that are tight on money.  Some of my favorite paint colors in this house were a mix of what I had on hand, or my projects have evolved out of what was found laying around in the basement or other foreign corners.  I'm also a sucker for the curb...and the freebies it contains.  (I will admit to slight annoyance when my kids noticed a big ole free pile across the street from us a few times over the last year.  But they've learned from the best, I guess).  So go be awesome with what ya got, and hopefully I'll have the chance to share more of my form of awesome with you more in the future.
JO

8 comments:

  1. If you have any spare ideas that you need to follow through on rattling around in that beautiful head of yours...you could head on over to 3040 rt 14A and work your magic. ;]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so want to stop by sometime and see that lovely place of yours. Holla at me sometime when you're there and maybe I'll swing the buggy by.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant, simply brilliant! I am inspired by your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you're quite inspirational in the kitchen. ;)

      Delete
  3. I love your bedroom! I don't know that I've seen black with an upside down chair rail before~ gorgeous!! And the handwriting behind the bed~yes! I'd take your ideas and handiwork around my house any day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a good share of my ideas come out looking like humble pie. I just like to see it as a learning curve. :)

      Delete

Hey, drop me a quick note! You're special enough to hear from!