9.16.2011

Kitchen story 2

So we've torn apart our kitchen.  Approx. 8 mos and two weeks ago.  Yeah it's been that long.  For a long while I really didn't care that it's been this long, but now I've got ants in my you-know-what.  The temporary accomodations have not been bad, not bad at all.  The laundry/bath we put in last fall have made being without a kitchen very tolerable, altho tight quarters.  I've learned that--
--dirty dishes and dirty laundry can be found in the same space and not be as overwhelming as I imagined.  
--a washer and dryer make a great countertop.  Just don't use them as a cutting board.  Your knife will hate you. 
--never set a hot pan in your new acrylic laundry sink.  It will melt.
--you never needed all that kitchen cabinet space.  You can do with a lot fewer dishes, tools, and food than you thought.
--a small space makes it next to impossible to work in with your honey without having to bump into/touch each other five gajillion times.  And I don't hate that. ;)
It's the man--carving out the wall for my amazing new windows.  If you want to see how this kitchen used to look, check here and here. I'm warning you, it's ugly.
Our determination to do it all our selves has waned.  Our pride got kicked in the pants to the curb, and we're hiring some of this project out.  You know, there's only so much time in one's life and being social brats was becoming a little old.  We also replace our "regular door" with one the size of the original to the house.
Aren't they just beautiful?
And a view from the outside.  They fit in so well... like they've always been there.


So now we're on to something.  That something being a goal of a new kitchen by January.  Next stop:  plumbing, insulation and drywall.  Now if I could just schedule my plumber for a massage, maybe he'd name me as the beneficiary of his very next job. 

*(Plumber-- a.k.a: the man I sleep with every night; the father of my kids; and winner of my heart.  Just so you didn't lose too much oxygen over my looseness with said man)
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, drop me a quick note! You're special enough to hear from!