10.10.2012

School Room Redo and I Got Junk

So we've got about 4 weeks of school under our belt.
I'll be the first to admit, I never, in a million years, 
Thought I would homeschool my kids.
But, walah, it's exactly what I'm doing.
We've shifted rooms quite a few times in the last couple of years
Always thinking, that maybe, we've found our perfect "school room"
And have always landed right back on the kitchen table.
Granted, it's not a bad spot to hang out at,
But to have to clear the mess every few hours for another meal
Isn't exactly making me dance any joy jigs.
So this year, we're trying out the "front room" aka parlor
That never got used for anything anyway.

*What a mess!  In real life, I hate such messes, but with 3 1/2 kids, 
Let's be honest, it looks like this way more than I would like*

I didn't want to go all "kid crazy", because it might not last,
So I went with a dark gray, that warms up the room,
And can be a mature color for later use, at the same time having the capability
Of taking on some bright colors.
In my fantasy world, this room would have floor to ceiling bookshelves
With a library ladder.
Built in computer station, and cabinets for storing every manner
Of school supplies, games, etc.
Maybe we'll get to that...someday.
But for now, the room just feels much more closed in and cozy.
Which is a good thing in a big house






 We had a single bed set up on our screened porch
For the summer, but I needed a place to go with it during the winter months
I schlepped it in, and it was one of the best things I've ever done.
The kids have spent hours laying on it and looking at/reading books.

Got junk?

There is this crazy box of junker parts, that I've kept.
As weird as it sounds, I sometimes get the box out
Just to dig through it and admire it's properties.
You know you're crazy when you do this.

My box holds things like:
metal brackets, silverware, turn latches, hinges
old castors, drawer pulls, door knobs, etc, etc



 At random times, I'll get a piece or two out
And I'll know just what I'm going to do with it.
Like the hinges I've used to hang a curtain in my laundry room
Or the drawer pulls I've used many times as name tag holders or napkin rings
For dinners with guests.
Sometimes it's just good to let my creative juices ruminate
Over a great box of junk.
What about you?!?

1 comment:

  1. I love your room make over. It's perfect in a budget-ty sort of way! :) And I'm ubber jealous of your junk box....which may be even crazier than admiring it's contents occasionally!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, drop me a quick note! You're special enough to hear from!