3.09.2012

Crab Stuffed Cucumber Bites

I may have mentioned before
That we go through these healthy food kicks at times.
To be honest, we try our fuzziest to eat well all the time.
But, lest we become religious about our food, we certainly don't freak out 
When we don't do as well as we should.  Or I'd like to think we don't.
All that aside, I've noticed in the last few months
That my tummy doesn't appreciate gluten so well.
After a few experimental weeks, the conclusion has been that I'm now gluten intolerant.
I refuse to give it up totally, I don't want it to become a foreign substance 
That I'll never be able to handle.  So I do indulge in a little "dough" once in a big while.
I've experimented with rice flour, spelt flour, etc because I've heard they're a good substitute.
And while I believe that could be true, they just don't bake the same as a wheat or white flour.
So for now, I'm just keeping a low profile on any floury grain.
I'm cool with not carrying around those extra 10 lbs, and a bloated stomach.
No joke, ya'll, if you're looking to knock out a few, just cut back on the bread.
All that for this: it gets a little hard sometimes to cut the munchies
When you know that what's in the pantry isn't going to do you any favors.  So.
Here's a recipe for you, to satisfy the snacky cravings:

Combine:
1/2 C. nonfat yogurt (or sour cream)
2 T. mayo.
6 oz. cream cheese (neufchatel, or low fat if you're cutting calories)
pinch of horseradish
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. dill weed
pinch 'o salt


Mix well.  Stir in:
Cheddar cheese
1/2 lb. imitation crab, flaked

Peel a cucumber.  Slice in 1/2" or 1" slices.
Use a cookie scoop or melon baller to scoop out the center.


 Fill each hollowed (or hallowed, if you're that reverent) cucumber with crab mixture.
That's right, stick your finger in it a few times
And lick it to your hearts content.
 Sprinkle with a little dill weed
Garnish and devour.
 
  Walla!  There you have it.
Eat and Be Merry.
JO
(and yes, I realize I signed my name twice last time.  twice for good measure. or maybe just a typo.  you'll never know.  and i'm too lazy to edit it out)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, drop me a quick note! You're special enough to hear from!